You've heard the horror stories and vowed to cut back on electricity, but what about the massive winter bill that is already winging its way to your letterbox? Rather than waiting to join a debt collector's hit list, we show you a simple way to manage scary bills.
Tips to tackle big bills:
- If you notify your energy company that you're having difficulty paying their bills, there is an obligation on them to offer you payment plans.
- Prior to speaking to your utility company about a payment plan, work out how much you can realistically afford to pay.
- If your provider refuses, you can appeal to the in your state.
- The Consumer Action Law Centre can help you make sure that the right government rebates and concessions are in place, because each state is different.
- Most power providers now offer special 'hardship plans', details will be on your provider's website.
- If you are renting, ask the landlord to have an energy saving assessment done (most state government websites will have details). The expert may reccommend new showerheads, draught-proof strips or a tap aerator.